Anyone with an interest in the adult can apply to be appointed. This could be:

- A family member

- A carer of the adult

- A professional person (solicitor, accountant, etc)

- The Chief Social Work Officer of the local authority

Several people can be involved in the application process. An application can be made to appoint more than one guardian and / or substitute guardians.